Saturday, February 22, 2014

Natural Aura

If there were four masks that I kept repeatedly seeing on blogs and YouTube, it would be Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask, REN Glycolactic Radiance Renewal Mask, Aesop Parsley Seed Facial Cleansing Masque and Antipodes Aura Manuka Honey Mask. Antipodes seem to have steadily captured my attention recent months, and 25% off the New Zealand skin care brand at David Jones last month was all the incentive I needed to add this popular hydrating mask to my skin care arsenal. I purchased it for just under $37 (regular price $49), lured by the promise of an "intensely moisturising, cleansing and antioxidising treatment" and exotic-sounding ingredients like the pohutukawa bloom and "traditional Māori remedy" Manuka honey.






Ingredients: Aqua (water), leptospermum scoparium mel (manuka honey), persea gratissima (avocado) oil, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, stearic acid, glycerol stearate, gluconolactone, sodium benzoate, calcium gluconate, vitis vinifera (Vinanza Grape grapeseed) extract, daucus carota sativa (carrot) oil, metrosideros excelsa (pohutukawa) flower extract, tocopherol (Vitamin E), essential oil fragrances of vanilla & mandarin: coumarin*, d-limonene*, linalool*.
*Component of essential oil


Antipodes Aura Manuka Honey Mask

Antipodes suggest smoothing a thick layer of the mask over the face and neck twice a week, leaving it on for 15 minutes and washing it off with warm water. Like all masks I use, I never bother with the neck. I've also left it on for much longer than the recommended time (until almost all the product had absorbed into my skin), and I don't think it makes any real difference to how well it works.

The Aura Manuka Honey Mask is an off-white cream colour with a similar texture to a moderately thick moisturiser. It's easy to spread and feels instantly soothing and hydrating once applied. It has a noticeable cooling, minty sensation that feels gently refreshing and calming for about 10-15 minutes but subsequently subsides. The smell reminds me a bit of raw cake batter but a bit more medicinal, not as sugary. Despite its name, I don't detect much of a honey scent at all. It's certainly not sickly sweet. There's a vague sense of vanilla coming through, but nothing distinct. Overall the fragrance is subdued and generally pleasant.

Is this the "ultimate solution for spots and blemishes" as Antipodes claims? Nope. Not even close. I've used it a few times and I don't feel it significantly contributes to blemishes diminishing in appearance or disappearing faster. I much prefer my Sukin Purifying Facial Masque for that purpose, where I can see my skin afterwards appearing brighter, clearer, more balanced and less inflamed if I'm suffering from a reaction or break out. What the Antipodes does excel at is hydration. When this is washed off, my skin is left feeling soft, nicely cleansed and nourished, like a layer of moisture has already been locked in before I need to slap on any other products. There's no dryness or irritation that come with other masks, notably the REN Glycolactic Radiance Renewal Mask, where my skin is craving moisturiser once it's washed off. Overall, while the Aura Manuka Honey Mask is hardly groundbreaking or super effective at combating spots, it's a refined, high quality mask that's gentle and comfortable on the skin, and a pleasure to use.

21 comments:

  1. Its a nice little hydrating mask but you're right in terms of blemishes, nada! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. it does sound like a nice little mask, shame it's not so good for blemishes like it claims xxx
    mollyox.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. The price makes me cringe!

    letsrunawayx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this mask, I find it so hydrating, relaxing and cooling! I also like to apply it on bad blemishes and leave it on overnight since it claims to have antibacterial properties. In the morning I find it reduces blemishes size and redness a little bit, try it like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a very relaxing and skin loving product but just for the sake of enriching the skins softness and moisture. I'm currently eyeing an asian like of skincare using honey but will be holding back for some time as I need to save up! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The brand doesn't speak to me at all for some reason (it is mute!) but how I love the tube! There's something about a used metal tube, especially the ones squeezed from the middle. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, definitely on my shopping list. Masks are one thing I tend to forget about but I definitely think my skin could do with me using them more regularly.

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Antipodes reminds me of Aesop for some reason, however I have never tried their products. I would love to check out their balm cleanser and maybe this one too next time their is a sale! I like the idea of a honey mask :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard this mask is meant to be really good for hydration, didn't know it was meant to help blemishes as well though - shame it didn't live up to that claim for you! For the price, I'd want to be really blown away by its effects x

    www.madeleineslittleblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a nice mask for the pick of winter and for when it's super hot in the summer and my skin feels the need for hydration. I also would love to try out Aesop's mask (I already have it on my cultbeauty wishlist, to be ready to buy once I finally feel the need to )
    Thank you very much for your lovely review :3
    Take care, have a nice day!*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess I'll try the Sukin one instead! Thanks for an honest review :)
    Have an amazing day!
    http://sheseeksvictoria.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely see a difference in the moisture levels of my skin but I agree, I didn't see much of a difference if any at all with my blemishes. It did soothe my blemishes but they didn't disappear any faster. xx
    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is good to know that it does not fight blemishes. That is usually my concern, though these days my face is super dry in addition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brillliaaaaant! I was looking at the Antipodes range, so glad I know to steer clear of this now! And thanks for the recommended Sukin product in this post as well, two in one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never seen Antipodes around my area, but I'm definitely on the look out for it. I like how this mask is really moisturizing; it really bugs me how a lot of the masks I have tried makes my face feel so damn thirsty lol. Also the Sukin Purifying Facial Masque sounds great! I never really know what masks I should try or buy so thanks for this post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have not found this to be helpful for my acne whatsoever either! It does seem to be helpful to balance the skin though when it's feeling very dry. x

    morerebe.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh that must've been disappointing to find out that this product didn't completely live up to its "ultimate solution for spots and blemishes" claim, but at least you got it on sale and saved yourself a few dollars haha. The packaging is super pretty though!

    ♥ Michelle/MICHALOGY

    ReplyDelete
  18. My skin is super dry, this sounds like it would be perfect. I've never tried Antipodes, but now I want to!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review, I don't normally use face masks. Having read this though, I think I would prefer a mask that reduces blemishes so I'll try Sukin Purifying Facial Masque. Thanks for the tip!

    Olivia @ Awake Looks

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE this stuff! It's not the best for blemishes, but it's the only thing that soothes my skin when it's irritated and I'm breaking out. But like you've mentioned, this does wonders for hydration!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...