Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Mint Condition

I love Lush. I just flipped through their Christmas catalogue and my eyes lit up browsing all their brightly coloured, festively packaged gift sets. There's something about how constantly inventive and appealing to the senses their products are that satisfies my love of novelty and a lil' self-pampering. And unlike cosmetics which take forever to be used up, I don't struggle to get through body products and skin care. Emptying a product I enjoyed using throughout gives me immense satisfaction, and the best part is being able to repurchase or try something different without guilt (not that I don't have backups of shower gels and random soaps lying around that I haven't touched). The latest product I've tried from Lush is the Mask of Magnaminty, my first experience with one of their "fresh" masks.





Mask of Magnaminty is an exfoliating, deep cleansing clay-based mask. It looks like choc mint ice cream with its green colour and crushed up aduki beans, and smells a bit like it too. It's a gritty, thick paste with ground up red beans that feels more like you're putting raw food on your face than something synthesised in a lab. When you're applying it to the skin with your fingers, there's not a whole lot of stickiness going on and I'm slightly concerned about bits of the mask falling off my face.

It's gently minty upon application, though nothing overpowering, and the minty sensation reduces with time. I usually leave it on for 15-20 minutes, during which the mask will slightly harden but remain mostly wet, depending on how thickly you've slathered it on. It definitely doesn't harden and tighten, uncomfortably/hilariously immobilising facial movement, like other clay masks. It's quite easily washed off with warm water. I like to massage it in with my fingers while washing it off to get in some extra manual exfoliation. Due to its coarse, granulated texture, and the presence of peppermint oil, it may be too abrasive and irritating on sensitive skin.

After it's washed off, my skin is left feeling refreshed, purified and scrubbed. While I don't really detect any instant glowing effect and it doesn't banish spots immediately after use, it's a mask I reach for when I need a good, minty deep cleanse and to slough away any dry, flaky bits. I'm a big fan of the unusually chunky composition and how much it reminds me of something edible, and who doesn't love a face mask for some welcome "me time"?

Ingredients: Bentonite Gel, Kaolin, Honey (Mel), Talc, Ground Aduki Beans (Phaseolus), Glycerine, Evening Primrose Seeds (Oenothera biennis), Peppermint Oil (Mentha piperita), African Marigold Oil (Tagetes erecta), Fair Trade Vanilla Absolute (Vanilla Planifolia), Limonene, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Chlorophyllin

19 comments:

  1. I brought this mask on a whim and loved it! I need to head back to Lush and repurchase as my skin is missing it.

    Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow using anything with mint in it instantly makes me feel cleansed! ha ha! I have used this a lot in the past when we still had Lush sold in India. I later moved onto Angels on Bare Skin which is more of a cleanser than a mask but the SA had told me to leave it on for 5 minutes and then gently massage it off.. and I have to say I Loved it! It has a lot of essential oils but I haven't had any bad reaction to it whatsoever! I wish I could get that again! :-(

    TheConscienceFund

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently I have read a lot about this face mask, it really does sound very nice and it would be my first LUSH face mask if I were to pick it up. I'm very intrigued and because it is minty I'm even more inclined to try it out.
    Amy | A Little Boat Sailing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love Lush products but have yet to try one of their masks - after reading your review this one sounds like it'll have to go on my must-buy list, I love anything that cleanses and makes my skin feel fresh.
    Kate | www.thebeautopiablog.squarespace.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Un producto maravilloso...quiero el..pena que aca en Argentina no consiga el!
    besosss
    www.cosasde-ladydiva.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds lovely! And yes, it's so much easier to finish and use up skincare/bodycare! I love finishing my shampoos and face products! This looks so interesting and yummy, I tend to go with tube scrubs from the drugstore and I've used a few sugar scrubs which I love. I just can't stand the smell in the lush store so I've yet to buy anything from them :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Lush as well, especially their christmas collection ^^
    I haven't seen this mint fresh mask in store, but it sounds good and the texture and color remind me of mint chocolate chip as well :D
    I love their fresh mask, my favorite is the chocolate and almond one :)
    Do you guys have Twilight this year? We sadly don't :((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, we don't! But last time I bought Twilight was actually around Halloween. LUSH are such a tease when it comes to limited edition favourites!

      Delete
  8. This sounds like a lovely mask. I tend to stay away from Lush products because they're too strongly scented, but this doesn't sound like it.

    blush and simplicity

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my favourite mask by Lush!
    My Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking about trying this one for a while.If only Lush was closer

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of those Lush products I've been really tempted to try, it sounds really lovely and might be one I pick up when my skin next goes through a bit of a rough patch! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds really, really nice! I definitely need to give it a try.

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of my favorite masks. My skin always feels so refreshed after I use it!
    The Grass Skirt

    ReplyDelete
  14. This seems to be a firm favourite among Lush fans! I'll have to try it out next time I'm in the market for a face mask!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm still yet to try Lush's face masks! I love the way you have described this one, the chunky texture sounds very satisfying to use, although I'm not a fan of when product falls off the face. Do you find it suitable for dry skin at all, or would it be too drying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be a bit irritating because it's quite granulated and coarse in a way ... plus the mint essential oils might also be unkind to dry skin which tends to also be relatively more sensitive. A friend of mine with sensitive skin used it and she's convinced that it exacerbated her spots and made her more red afterwards :p I guess you can't really know until you try for yourself!

      Delete
  16. I've spotted this at Lush, but never really given it much attention. It sounds pretty wonderful though. Like a good 'pep-up' mask. Will pick a tub up next time. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...