Sunday, April 19, 2015

Boldly Priced

I love Real Techniques brushes and the Pixiwoo sisters, so when I heard about the "premium" Bold Metals Collection they were launching, I was intrigued to say the least. I first glimpsed these shiny, white-haired, pointy-ended brushes on Sam's Instagram four months ago and immediately made a mental note to check them out in person ASAP. Unfortunately, I read that Real Techniques have an exclusive distribution deal with Ulta in the US and Boots in the UK for the first six months they're released, with no plans to sell these brushes on iHerb any time soon (though they are available to purchase now on the Australian Real Techniques website). Like any good beauty addict, I shamelessly inconvenienced a friend who was vacationing in the US, asking them to purchase the Flat Contour Brush (301) for me. These brushes are not cheap, so I limited myself to just one. It was definitely going to be a face brush rather than an eye brush, so by an arbitrary process of elimination (certainly not on the basis of need, since I have too many brushes, period), I opted for the very specific contour brush.





Now, firstly, let's address the most pressing issue with these brushes: the price. The Flat Contour Brush retails for an incredible $65 in Australia. Given you can only purchase them online at the moment, if your order is under $100, you have to pay an additional $5.50 for shipping. I'm sorry, but if I'm paying $70.50 for a single brush, it better be a damn good brush. At that price range, it's competing with established high end brands like Bobbi Brown or NARS. We all know that Australian markup is ridiculous, but this brush ain't cheap in the US or UK either. It's £22 ($42) or $26 USD (about $37 post-tax).

The most jarring aspect of the pricing is comparing the Bold Metals Collection to the original line. Yes, the new brushes are meant to be "super luxe", but at the end of the day, both are made of synthetic bristles. I personally don't feel that much difference in softness between the Flat Contour Brush and any other brush from the original Real Techniques line once it touches my face, though it might not be the best brush to compare as it's very dense, rather than soft and fluffy. Sure, the design of the brushes offers something new, but even then, the elevated price doesn't seem entirely justified. The rose gold is pretty and the handle does feel heftier and properly weighted, but the material and craftsmanship don't scream to me "extremely high quality", especially with a few noticeable nicks and dents on the edges of the handle.

Put it this way. At $37, which is still the cheapest price I could pay for this brush (and I still had to get my friend to buy it online in the States and bring it back to Australia in her luggage), I could buy a Wayne Goss brush (e.g. Brush 14) from Beautylish that's been handcrafted in Japan by artisans using ultra-soft natural hair. Or I could just stick with something like the Expert Face Brush ($9 USD), rather than spending three times the amount for something not vastly superior in craftsmanship, materials or functionality.

Rose gold and contouring brushes ... I'm sensing a trend.

Top to bottom: Real Techniques Flat Contour Brush, Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, Real Techniques Contour Brush, Charlotte Tilbury Powder & Sculpt, Zoeva Face Shape

l-r: Zoeva Face Shape, Charlotte Tilbury Powder & Sculpt, Real Techniques Contour Brush, Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, Real Techniques Flat Contour Brush

Another thing dampening my enthusiasm is I simply did not need this brush in my life. I thought a dedicated contouring brush would be useful, particularly for cream products, but then I had a look at my collection and realised I HAVE BRUSHES FOR THAT ALREADY. And by brushes, I mean four brushes. Minimally.

Sure, the Charlotte Tilbury Powder & Sculpt is really only for powder products, but the rest are synthetic and good for both powder and creams. (Plus, how many cream contouring products do I even own? The answer is a modest two if bronzer is included: 1) Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel and 2) Illamasqua Cream Pigment in Hollow, which is very questionable in terms of suitability for my skin tone and effectiveness.) Basically, any of these brushes could serve the purpose of the Flat Contour Brush. Some I would say are a lot better since the Flat Contour is limited by its blunt rectangular shape and short, dense bristles. It can't gently dust product on and softly blend it out the way the Charlotte Tilbury Powder & Sculpt can. The Flat Contour can really only pick up a small amount of product along the entire surface area of the brush, place it in a line down the face, and then blend it out once the product has been put down.

l-r: Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, Real Techniques Flat Contour Brush

In terms of brush shape, the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush is by far the most similar to the Flat Contour Brush. You definitely don't need both. If anything, I prefer the Expert Face Brush as it's more versatile (excellent for cream blush and liquid foundation), and fluffier and softer, meaning it diffuses product seamlessly with less effort. The Flat Contour Brush is narrower in shape so it allows a more precise placement, but since it's significantly firmer to the touch and the bristles are more tightly packed, it's harder to blend product out. It does pick up and use less product while not sacrificing pigmentation due to the density of bristles preventing excess product from being absorbed.

Overall, I like the Flat Contour Brush, but I'm not in love with it. I find it overpriced for what it is and I already have several brushes that are able to carry out its specific function, so I wouldn't say it's an entirely successful addition to my makeup brush collection. Still, it's nice to look at, does what it promises, and while I may have similar brushes, I can't say I have anything exactly like it.

59 comments:

  1. Aww that's a shame, when I saw the brushes I instantly wanted one but I agree $65 is way overpriced

    Jacqui | Effloresscyon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit of a stretch! I guess they want to market it to people who are a bit obsessed with makeup since the average beauty consumer probably wouldn't be willing to fork out that much for a brush. In this case, I don't know if the quality matches the price either :\

      Delete
  2. The design of the brush is beautiful but I'm not seeing good reviews on their bold metals collection

    Kayla
    Sheer Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reviews are quite mixed! Some of them are very negative which is always humorous. I read Temptalia's review of the pointed foundation brush and it was very negative, haha.

      Delete
  3. I was surprised at how much more these brushes were compared to the rest of their collections...they are lovely though! x

    http://abeautyromancee.blogspot.co.uk
    http://abeautyromancee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely priced to reflect the "luxe" branding. Just not sure if the actual product matches the significantly higher price tag, especially since the original line is terrific but affordable.

      Delete
  4. I fell in love with the rose-gold handle. But damn that is a bit overpriced for a makeup brush considering that there are cheaper brushes out there with the same (or even better) quality.

    www.lacy-rose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! Especially since the brush is synthetic. Zoeva comes to mind, for example. But yes, the rose gold handle is very pretty :)

      Delete
  5. I've been eyeing these up but mainly because they are so aesthetically pleasing to the eye. They are pretty but like you say they are rather pricey considering the quality and work that has gone into producing them!

    Leanne x
    My new blog post... Haircare : Currently on trial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope if you do splurge on one (or two) that they meet your expectations :) I'm not sure if the rollout of these new brushes has been entirely successful - there seems to be mixed reviews online!

      Delete
  6. Ohh lovely review and very interesting! I actually loved this brush and it's the only brush I've bought from the RT Bold collection. Contouring is something I've wanted to master and having the right brush makes all the difference! I do agree the bristles are more compact but it does blend nicely for me and it's also pretty to look at :) xx

    www.krystelcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this brush was a hit for you! If I didn't have any similar brushes or brushes that could carry out its contouring function, I probably would be a lot happier with it. Still, it's nice to have but not essential.

      Delete
  7. Oh this is very disappointing! I somehow prefer the classic black handle normal 'MAC' looking brushes so I am never going to be attracted to these!

    TheConscienceFund

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brush was a bit of a disappointment considering the sky high price, especially the manufacturing defects with the handle. I do like the rose gold handle though!

      Delete
  8. The Bold Metals collection looks stunning, but the price tag put me off immediately! I think its a shame the price was so high, as the actual brushes look lovely. Great post :D xx

    Beauty Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the price tag is definitely prohibitive for a lot of people. But I guess a chunk of makeup junkies will still be keen to at least try out one!

      Delete
  9. I do like the brush, but I completely agree that is is extremely over priced for what it is and I do slightly regret purchasing it. It's nice enough and does the job, but I can't help but think my money could have been better spent...

    Heather, porcelainbeautyx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Those are pretty much my sentiments exactly. It's nice to have but not necessary, and very pricey which makes me question whether it was a worthwhile purchase.

      Delete
  10. Ooooh too bad this one was a rather disappointment, it looks very pretty though, I love the design and color.. I am happy with the regular RT brushes and I find them very very good for the price.. But to spend $37 for something that is not really much different to the $9 one except for the design is annoying :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brush is quite nice to look at, gotta give them that. Though the actual materials seem a bit on the cheap side - at least not reflective of the very high price tag. I definitely think the original Real Techniques line is more bang for your buck!

      Delete
  11. This is the only brush from the collection that stood out for me, but I think that since they released their sculpting brush I’ve been using that more. I have to agree I like it I’m just not sure I love it hehe, fab review :)

    Charlee XO | CharmedCharlee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The contour brush did seem like 'the one' to get, along with the bigger powder brush. Though it does seem redundant when they released the sculpting brush soonafter!

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful brush, but holy crap, $70??? In Canada, things are marked up more too, but that's just crazy!

    RachelShuchatMakeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was very surprised at the price, but I guess it's predictable if they're trying to price the brush at 3x the cost of a single one from the original line. Australian markup is a complete bummer!

      Delete
  13. Interesting review, there have definitely been mixed reviews for this range! Can't believe how big the price mark up is in Australia - $70 is ridiculous! x
    http://cocoamay.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! It's outrageous what companies charge for products in Australia :(

      Delete
  14. Great post! I really wanted to buy this exact brush, because I loved the shape and the colour, but when I saw the price, I was like "I'm gonna stick with my regular RT contour brush"! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, good idea! I'm sure it would perform just as well. The Bold Metals range is just soooo pricey.

      Delete
  15. Pixiwoo are from the UK, yet we pay more than the US for their merchandise?
    I do feel for Australian beauty junkies such as yourself - but this one in-particular, erks me.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! But I guess things are traditionally priced cheaper in America. I guess it's all relative. They have a much lower minimum wage. Still, you'd think there should be a perk to Pixiwoo originating from the UK that the prices for their brushes would be most affordable there. Though I do believe they're manufactured by an American company (not sure where the brushes are actually made), so that might also be a factor.

      Delete
  16. Bummer to hear that! I definitely won't be picking up any of the new brushes. I only own 4 RT brushes for some reason but I really want to get some more (though I have plenty of brushes already...).

    Ling | The Cosmetic Critic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original line honestly boast some of the best "drugstore"/affordable brushes I've tried. You really can't go wrong!

      Delete
  17. Ok damn, but also THANK YOU because they look so gorgeous I so would have jumped on the bandwagon without a second thought. Definitely going to have to rethink now! x
    Madeleine, The Daily Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well who knows, you may have a much rosier opinion on them :) But there are definitely some scathing reviews/feedback online about the Bold Metals brushes...

      Delete
  18. Man, these are so pretty I was really hoping they'd be worth the price! You're totally right though that I'd rather try a Goss brush than these for the same price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not worth the price in my opinion, especially not for an outrageous $65-70 in Australia :S Yikes. I haven't tried Goss brushes but I really want to! (Need to completely stop buying makeup brushes though...)

      Delete
  19. I had the same excitement when I first heard the pixiwoo sisters announce their new launch on their youtube channel. I really like the rose gold packaging but it's just unfortunate how these aren't exactly worth the price that it's marked at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd understand if the actual product was clearly superior, but to me, there are clear quality issues and I'm not sure if the price reflects the materials/manufacturing standard used. At least not to justify the triple markup from their original line where the brushes are affordable but perform excellently.

      Delete
  20. Wow, $65?! I wouldn't think to get a RT brush at that price either. Holy cow. I thought this brush seemed interesting too, but I skipped on it since I knew I wouldn't use it much. I still really want to try Zoeva brushes, but shipping is so expensive to the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, $65! $70.50 with shipping! Craaaaazy stuff. I definitely wouldn't have bought it at that price, especially knowing how it performs and seeing it in person. I'd much rather buy from other brands. I recently ordered the rose gold set from Zoeva and I've been enjoying it. I did have to pay quite a bit for shipping, but nothing out of the ordinary. I was more shocked at Colourpop's shipping - it was something close to $30 for 6 eyeshadows! Lawd.

      Delete
  21. Yeah I'd go with the Wayne Goss brush instead of this one. Or if I'm being completely honest, I'll just go for the expert face brush hahaha :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good pick! The Expert Face Brush is a definite winner from Real Techniques :) I do want to try a Goss brush but am trying to be good.

      Delete
  22. Too pricey for me, I will be sticking with Zoeva. Love them :) x
    Becoming Becca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoeva are great, so are the original RT brushes :)

      Delete
  23. this brush does look so gorgeous but I could not pay this price for it! x
    Hannah | Heyitshannaah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very expensive, especially the Australian price! You definitely can get brushes that perform a similar function for much cheaper.

      Delete
  24. This is the one brush that I would buy from the collection, but then, I wouldn't. I love the way they look, but they've been getting really mixed reviews, and they're just so expensive?!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the positive reviews have been very generous given the steep price point of the brush and the fact I don't think the quality of it reflects the price tag. But still, if you're okay with paying for an overpriced product, it's not too bad. (At least so far, though I've had it only for like 2 weeks, so I need to test it more in terms of how well it washes and durability over time.)

      Delete
  25. such a beautiful brush!

    Annie | www.drugstoredreamer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm not paying £22 for it, and I would NEVER spend $70 on one brush! I'll stick with fawning over the Zoeva rose gold collection...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great review! I was so tempted to buy them 'cause their so pretty but price ranges of >$60 is a bit ridiculous if the feel of quality is not there.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's such a beautiful looking brush but it sounds much too expensive for what it is! x

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great review and I don't think I would drop so much money on the brush too if I didn't need it. I'm waiting for them to come to the Philippines and might check them out first only but it is so pretty.

    Jackie | fashionxfairytale |

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really didn't like their new collection...
    I think that for it's price, I would rater order the Zoeva Rose Gold kit ( wait, that's what in fact I did :P I'm just taking my time and waiting to get their eye set and a highlighter brush)
    RT brushes are usually good, don't get me wrong but I've had a few for two years and I love them but, when I'm asked such a high price, they better be good and look like something out of this world...which they don't look.
    I would rather order their Multi-task set in order to get their Multi-task brush ( which looks amazing for powder) than getting any of their newest brushes. So yes, I totally understand your frustration :/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Huh. Sounds like they're over-reaching with the new collections. I had a chance to meet Pixi Woo here in Toronto and passed because I just don't care about them or their brushes that much. I have one Wayne Goss brush from Beautylish and can tell you that it's worth every freaking penny. And this is coming from me, a non-brush person. I'm also iffy on Goss but have to admit he did a darn good job with the brush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I wonder if Sam and Nic will ever come to Australia. I'm not sure if I would go out of my way to meet them. Maybe. I do love them ... especially Sam. I'm a looooong time fan. The Wayne Goss brushes do seem amazing. I can't buy any more brushes though. So maybe in like, 2 years. Totally get what you mean by 'iffy' but he does seem really knowledgeable and hardworking, especially earlier on before he gained such a huuggeee following. I once saw his makeup collection video (mind you this was probably 3 years ago) and it was absolutely insane. His cosmetic obsession is on a whole 'nother level.

      Delete
  32. I just can't believe the mark-up in Australia! I hope to check them out if I'm in America any time soon but it sounds like I can stick to the normal RT brushes and be perfectly happy!

    Ash / thebeautycollection.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, I was sort of out of the loop when these bold metal brushes came out and suddenly, I started seeing them everywhere. This brush would have been my pick too, I had no idea they were so expensive!! I don't think I could justify that price, even for RT brushes. Still at least it looks pretty in your collection?

    Chloé⎪ status.chlo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...